1.5 lbs 3GC ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste
1 white onion, peeled and diced
1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
1 (15.5oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
8 large corn tortillas
3 cups cheddar shredded cheese
1 28oz can of Old El Paso HOT enchilada sauce (or Mild)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Sour cream topping (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with olive oil or cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Cook the ground beef in a large pan over medium/high heat until it is completely cooked through. Keep a little of the grease in the pan.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan with the remaining grease from the beef and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft. Stir in the green chiles and beans, and cook for a minute or two.
- Remove the pan from heat, and stir the ground beef and about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the onion mixture until combined. Set it aside.
- Apply two tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Then add ground beef/onion/chiles/bean combo, and then cheese, to the tortillas. Roll up tortillas and place them in the baking pan. Spread any of the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas, then add shredded cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and serve garnished with cilantro and sour cream.
Hot Sauces That Pair Well:
- Humble House’s Ancho and Morita Hot Sauce (Scoville Rating: 450) – Whit’s personal favorite
- Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce (Scoville Rating: 1,200)
- Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce (Scoville Rating: 2,500)
- Trappey’s Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce (Scoville Rating: 1,200)